UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Rumburgh, Suffolk

Historical Description

Rumburgh, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, 4½ miles NW by N of Halesworth station on the East Suffolk branch of the G.E.R. It has a post office under Halesworth; money order and telegraph office, Halesworth. Acreage, 1538; population of the civil parish, 378; of the ecclesiastical, 494. An Augustinian priory, a cell to holme Abbey, was founded in 1065 by Stephen, Earl of Bretagne, was given at the dissolution to Cardinal Wolsey, and has left some remains at a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of South Elmham St Michael, in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £62 with residence. The church is a curious old edifice of flint in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, and S porch with a low western tower. There are town-lands church property worth about £68 a year. The village contains a Wesleyan chapel built in 1836.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishRumburgh St. Michael 
Poor Law unionBlything 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Rumburgh from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Rumburgh are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Postal districtIP19
Post TownHalesworth