UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Rickinghall Inferior, Suffolk

Historical Description

Rickinghall Inferior, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, 1 mile SSW of Botesdale, 5 miles S of Finningham station, and 4½ W by N of Mellis station on the Ipswich and Norwich section of the G.E.R. It has a post and money order office under Diss; telegraph office, Botesdale. Acreage, 1981; population, 362. The manor belongs to the Wilson family. Hul House is a pleasant country seat in the Grecian style situated in its own grounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £411 with residence. The church is a building of stone and flint, partly in the Early Decorated and partly in the Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, a fine S aisle, S porch, and a very ancient tower, circular at the base and octagonal at the top; it has some good stained windows. There are Congregational and Werieyan chapels, a fuel allotment of about 10 acres, and some small charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishRickinghall-Inferior St. Mary 
HundredBlackbourn 
Poor Law unionStow 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Rickinghall Inferior from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement