UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Preston, Suffolk

Historical Description

Preston, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, on the river Brett, 2 miles E by N of Lavenham station on the Bury and Sudbury section of the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Lavenham. Acreage, 2006; population of the civil parish, 318; of the ecclesiastical, 305. There is a parish council consisting of seven members and a chairman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £290 with residence. Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The church became ruinous in 1863 by the falling of the tower, but was handsomely restored by voluntary contributions in 1868. A mosaic reredos was placed in the church in 1883.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishPreston St. Mary 
HundredBabergh 
Poor Law unionCosford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Preston from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement