UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Polstead, Suffolk

Historical Description

Polstead, a village and a parish in Suffolk. The village stands on the river Box, 3 miles NNE of Nayland, and 4½ SW of Hadleigh station on the G.E.R., and has a post office under Colchester; money order office, Stoke by Nayland; telegraph office, Boxford. The parish comprises 3414 acres; population of the civil parish, 745; of the ecclesiastical, 736. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. A fair was formerly held on the Wednesday after 16 July, but has become obsolete. Polstead Hall is a chief residence standing in a deer-park of about 90 acres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £530 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Oxford. The church is chiefly Early Norman, consists of chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and an embattled western tower with spire, and contains two brasses. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishPolstead St. Mary 
HundredBabergh 
Poor Law unionCosford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Polstead from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Polstead are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictBabergh
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCO6
Post TownColchester

Advertisement

Advertisement