UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Petistree or Pettistree, Suffolk

Historical Description

Petistree or Pettistree, a parish in Suffolk, 1 mile SSW of Wickham Market, and 2½ miles W of Wickham Market station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Wickham Market. Acreage, 1779; population of the civil parish, 250; of the ecclesiastical, with Bredfield, 625. The manor belongs to the Duke of Hamilton and Brandon. Loudham Hall is a fine mansion of brick standing in a pleasant situation, overlooking the valley of the Deben. The living is a vicarage, annexed to those of Lowdham and Bredfield, in the diocese of Norwich; joint net value, £168 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel and nave, with an embattled western tower. It was restored in 1884.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishPetistree St. Peter and St. Paul 
HundredWilford 
Poor Law unionWoodbridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Petistree or Pettistree from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Petistree or Pettistree are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement