Bramhall or Bramall, Cheshire
Bramhall or Bramall a township in the parish of St Thomas, Stockport, Cheshire, 2½ miles S of Stockport. It has a station on the Stockport and Macclesfield branch of the L. & N.W.R., and a post office under Stockport; telegraph office, Cheadle Hulme. Acreage, 2885; population, 3365. Bramhall Hall is one of the finest specimens of the old timber and plaster mansions in the country. It was formerly the seat of the Davenport family, who owned the manor from the time of Edward III. It is now the property of the Nevill family, who have carried out a thorough restoration of the building in most excellent taste. There is a mission church in connection with St Thomas' Church, Stockport. There are also Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stockport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bramhall or Bramall from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bramhall or Bramall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.