UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Occold, Suffolk

Historical Description

Occold, a village and a parish in the north-eastern division of Suffolk. The village stands 2 miles SSE of Eye station on the G.E.R., and 2¾ E of the Roman road to Norwich, and has a post office under Eye; money order and telegraph office, Eye. The parish contains also the hamlet of Benningham Green, and comprises 1508 acres; population, 514. The manor of Occold Hall belongs to the Chapman family, and the manorial rights of Bennington belong to the Burrows family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; gross value, £305 with residence. The church, which is a building of flint and atone, was originally Norman, comprises centre aisle, a handsome chancel, and a porch; was repaired and re-roofed in 1854, has an embattled tower of 1426, considerably altered, and contains a brass of W. Ocbold. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities amounting to £108.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishOccold St. Nicholas 
HundredHartismere 
Poor Law unionHartismere 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Occold from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Occold are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictMid Suffolk
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP23
Post TownEye

Advertisement

Advertisement