UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Middleton, Suffolk

Historical Description

Middleton, a village and a parish in Suffolk The village stands on the river Minsmere, 3 miles SE of Darsham station on the Ipswich and Lowestoft section of the G.E.R., and 5 NE of Saxmundham, and has a post office under Saxmund-ham; money order and telegraph office, Darsham. The parish contains also the hamlet of Fordley, formerly a separate parish, and the parish is sometimes called Middleton-cum-Fordley. Acreage, 2041; population, 520. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Fordley, in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £129 with residence, in the gift of the Church Patronage Society. The church is an old building of flint and stone in the Early English style, with a thatched roof; it was restored in 1864, and has a tower and spire. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishMiddleton Holy Trinity 
HundredBlything 
Poor Law unionBlything 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Middleton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Middleton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictSuffolk Coastal
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP17
Post TownSaxmundham

Advertisement

Advertisement