UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Mellis, Suffolk

Historical Description

Mellis, a village and a parish in Suffolk. The village stands round a large green, traversed by the G.E.R., Ig- mile W of the Roman road to Norwich, and 3½ miles W of Eye and has a station on the railway. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Scole. The parish comprises 1365 acres, population, 413. Th e manor of St John's belongs to the Wilson family, and that of Pountney Hall to Lord Henniker. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £235 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, an ancient flint building in mixed styles, dates from about the end of the 13th century, lost its tower about 1736, underwent internal restoration in 1859, but without re-erection of the tower, and contains a fine octagonal font and monuments of the Yaxleys and the Clarkes. There is a Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishMellis St. Mary 
Poor Law unionHartismere 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Mellis from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Mellis are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictMid Suffolk
Postal districtIP23
Post TownEye