UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Lindsey, Suffolk

Historical Description

Lindsey, a parish, with a village, in Suffolk, on an affluent of the river Brett, 4½ miles NW by W of Hadleigh station, on the G.E.R. Post town, Kersey, under Ipswich; money order and telegraph office, Boxford. Acreage, 1230; population, 253. The manor belongs to the Wood family. Lindsey Hall is now a farmhouse. Ravens Hall, formerly the seat of the Hobart family, is also a farmhouse. The manufacture of linsey-woolsey took its rise in this parish. Traces of an ancient camp and ruins of an ancient chapel are at Chapel Farm. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £197 with residence. Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of rubble and flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisles, and south porch. It formerly had a tower, but this fell in 1836, and has not been rebuilt. Rose Green is a hamlet about half a mile south-west of the village.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyKent 
Ecclesiastical parishLindsey St. Peter 
HundredCosford 
Poor Law unionCosford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lindsey from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Lindsey are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictBabergh
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP7
Post TownIpswich

Advertisement

Advertisement