UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Lawshall, Suffolk

Historical Description

Lawshall, a parish in Suffolk, 3½ miles W of Cockfield station on the G.E.R., and 6¼ S by E of Bury St Edmunds, It has a post office under Bury St Edmunds; money order and telegraph office, Cockfield. Acreage, 2930; population, 770. There is a manufactory of horse-hair sofas and chair covers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross-value, £580 with residence. The church, a building of stonfr and flint in the Perpendicular style, was restored in 1857 at a cost of £6000. It has three fine painted windows. There is also a Roman Catholic chapel with a school attached, which was erected in 1870. There are some small charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishLawshall All Saints 
HundredBabergh 
Poor Law unionSudbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Lawshall from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Lawshall are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictBabergh
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP29
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement