UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Ilketshall St John, Suffolk

Historical Description

Ilketshall St John, a parish in Suffolk, 2 miles SE from Bnngay station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Bungay. Acreage, 755; population, 93. There is an ancient moated earthwork, and Roman relics have been found. St John's Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory, with Ilketshall St Lawrence annexed, in the diocese of Norwich; joint net yearly value, £265 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is of the 14th century, with a tower of the 15th century, and was restored in 1860.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishIlketshall St. John 
HundredWangford 
Poor Law unionWangford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ilketshall St John from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement