UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Ickworth, Suffolk

Historical Description

Ickworth, a parish in Suffolk, 3 miles SW of Bury St Edmunds station on the G.E.R. Post town, Bury St Edmunds; money order and telegraph office, Horringer. Acreage, 1258; population, 92. The manor was given by Bishop Theodred to Bury Abbey, and belongs now to the Marquis of Bristol. Ickworth Park is a seat of the Marquis; was founded in 1792 by the Earl of Bristol; is 625 feet long and 120 deep; comprises centre, quadrant corridors, and wings; presents in the centre Ionic and Corinthian decorations, with surmounting dome 105 feet high; includes basso-relievos, from Homer's "Iliad" and " Odyssey," after designs by Flaxman; and stands in a park of about 1200 acres, stocked with about 300 head of deer. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, and was annexed in 1868 to the rectory of Homingsheath; net value, £170. Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church is a small Gothic building of flint.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
HundredThingoe 
Poor Law unionThingoe 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ickworth from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement