UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Horningsheath, Suffolk

Historical Description

Horningsheath or Horringer, a village and a parish in Suffolk. The village stands 3 miles SW from Bury St Edmunds station on the G.E.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, of the name of Horringer, under Bury St Edmunds. The parish includes also the hamlet of Horsecroft, and comprises 2212 acres; population of the'civil parish, 599; of the united ecclesiastical, 691. The manor belonged formerly to Bury Abbey, and belongs now to the Marquis of Bristol. Horringer House was once the seat of the Bury abbots, and is now the seat of the Lainsons. Brooke House is the residence of the Victor-Paleys. At Ickworth is the seat of the Marquis of Bristol. The parish, prior to 1528, formed two parishes, called Great Homingsheath and Little Homingsheath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, and was united in 1868 with Ickworth; net value, £372 with residence. Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church is Decorated English, and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower; the chancel was restored in 1867.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishHorningsheath St. Leonard 
Poor Law unionThingoe 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Horningsheath from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online: