UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Honington, Suffolk

Historical Description

Honington, a village and a parish in Suffolk. The village is near the Upper Ouse, an affluent of the Little Ouse, 7 miles SE from Thetford station and 8½ from Bury St Edmunds station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Bury St Edmunds; money order and telegraph office, Ixworth, The parish comprises 1201 acres; population, 259. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £227 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is built of flint, showing Norman, Decorated, and Perpendicular work, with tiled roof. The tower is of flint with stone dressings, and contains three bells. The porch is of East Anglian 15th century work, and is very beautiful. A small brass has 1594 date. The local charities are endowed with 46½ acres of land. Robert Bloom-field the pastoral poet was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishHonington All Saints 
Poor Law unionThetford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Honington from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Honington are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictSt. Edmundsbury
Postal districtIP31
Post TownBury St. Edmunds