UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Henham, Suffolk

Historical Description

Henham, a civil parish, united for ecclesiastical purposes with Wangford, Suffolk, 4 miles E from Halesworth, and 2 from Blythburgh station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Wangford. Acreage, 1808; population of the civil parish, 162; of the united ecclesiastical parishes, 1079. The manor belonged formerly to the Hoptons, and belongs now to the Earl of Stradbroke. Henham Hall, the Earl's seat, was built in 1797 by James Wyatt, occupies the site of a previous mansion burnt in 1773, and stands in an extensive well-wooded park comprising nearly 1000 acres of land.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Civil parishWangford 
HundredBlything 
Poor Law unionBlything 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Henham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement