Birtles, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Alderley parish, Cheshire, 4 miles W by N of Macclesfield. Post, money order, and telegraph office, at Chelford under Crewe. Acreage of the township, 599; population, 60; of the ecclesiastical parish, 445. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1890, and includes the township of Over Alderley. Birtles Hall is the seat of the Hibbert family. A Roman urn and some other Roman relics have been found. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester; net value, £193. The church was erected in 1840, and was formerly the domestic chapel of Birtles Hall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Macclesfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Birtles from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.