UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Hargrave, Suffolk

Historical Description

Hargrave, a village and a parish in Suffolk, 4 miles SSW from Saxham station on the G.E.R., and 6 SW by W from Bury St Edmunds. Post town, Bury St Edmunds; money order and telegraph office, Barrow. Acreage, 1781; population of the civil parish, 378; of the ecclesiastical, 358. The manor belonged to Bury Abbey, passed to the Ritsons and the Gages, and belongs now to the Marquis of Bristol. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £200 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint and stone in Early English style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
HundredThingoe 
Poor Law unionThingoe 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Hargrave from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Hargrave are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictSt. Edmundsbury
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP29
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement