UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Grundisburgh, Suffolk

Historical Description

Grundisburgh, a village and a parish in Suffolk. The-village stands 3 miles NW by W from Woodbridge town, and 2 N from Bealings station on the G.E.R., and has a post and money order office under Woodbridge; telegraph office, Little Bealings. The parish comprises 1909 acres; population, 822. Grundisburgh Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net yearly value, £310" with residence. Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, which was built about the middle of the 13th century, is a building of flint in the Florid Gothic style, and there is a Baptist chapel. There is a town estate worth about £40 a year and several small charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishGrundisburgh St. Mary 
Poor Law unionWoodbridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records

Marriages at Grundisburgh, 1539 to 1837 are available online as part of the Suffolk Parish and Probate Records.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Grundisburgh from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Grundisburgh are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictSuffolk Coastal
Postal districtIP13
Post TownWoodbridge