UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Groton, Suffolk

Historical Description

Groton, a parish in Suffolk, 7 miles E from Sudbury station on the G.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Boxford, under Colchester. Acreage, 1560, of which 39 are common. Population of the civil parish, 437; of the ecclesiastical, 463. The manor belonged to the abbey of Bury St Edmunds, and passed at the dissolution to the Winthorpes. Groton House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value,, £251 with residence. The church is an ancient building of rubble in the Late Decorated style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishGroton St. Bartholomew 
HundredBabergh 
Poor Law unionCosford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Groton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Groton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictBabergh
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCO10
Post TownSudbury

Advertisement

Advertisement