Great Finborough, Suffolk
Finborough, Great, a village and a parish in Suffolk, on a tributary of the Gipping, 3 miles WSW of Stowmarket station on the G.E.R., with a post and money order office under Stowmarkefc; telegraph office, Stowmarket. Acreage, 1695; population, 462. The manor belonged to the Wollas-tons, and passed to the Pettiwards. Finborough Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £180. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church was rebuilt in 1874-75 in the Decorated style. It contains some monuments of the Wollastons. There is a Congregational chapel. Finborough Hall is a mansion of white brick, standing in a park of 200 acres. Wollasfcon, the writer of the " Religion of Nature," was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Finborough St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Stow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Finborough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Finborough, Great (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.
Online maps of Great Finborough are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online: