UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Glemsford, Suffolk

Historical Description

Glemsford, a village and a parish in Suffolk. The village stands near the river Stour, 4½ miles ENE of Clare, and has a station on the G.E.R., and a post, money order and telegraph office (R.S.O.) The parish comprises 2246 acres; population of the civil parish, 2375; of the ecclesiastical, 2441. There are a horsehair and cocoa-nut fibre manufactory, a silk-throwing mill, and a silk factory. The manor belonged at Domesday to Earl Odo. A priests' college was established here in the time of Edward 'the Confessor, and had numerous privileges, which were confirmed by Stephen, Henry II., and Henry III. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £323 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is a large Gothic building of stone and flint. There are Primitive Methodist and two Baptist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishGlemsford St. Mary 
Poor Law unionSudbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Glemsford from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Glemsford are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Postal districtCO10
Post TownSudbury