UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Gislingham, Suffolk

Historical Description

Gislingham, a village and a parish in Suffolk. The village stands near the G.E.R., 2½ miles N of Finningham station, and 5 miles SW by W of Eye, and has a post office under Eye; money order and telegraph office, Finningham. The parish comprises 2271 acres; population, 494. A preceptory of the Knights of St. John stood here, and was given in the time of Edward VI. to John Greene and Robert Hall. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; gross yearly value, £566 with residence. The church is a building of flint in the Perpendicular style. There is a Free Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishGislingham St. Mary 
HundredHartismere 
Poor Law unionHartismere 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Gislingham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Gislingham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictMid Suffolk
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP23
Post TownEye

Advertisement

Advertisement