Bickley, a township in Malpas parish, Cheshire, near Cholmondeley Castle, 3 miles E of Malpas. Acreage, 2473; population, 891. Post town, Malpas; money order and telegraph office, Cholmondeley. About a quarter of an acre of the surface, covered with trees, sank suddenly on 18 June, 1657, into a deep subterranean flood, long since dried up, leaving a chasm called the Barrel Fall. Two metal tablets, inscribed with a decree of the Emperor Trajan, were found in 1812, and conveyed to the British Museum.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Nantwich|
|Registration district||Whitchurch||1853 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bickley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bickley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.