Bickerton, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Malpas parish, Cheshire. The township lies 2½ miles W of Cholmondeley, 2 SE of Broxton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 NE of Malpas, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Broxton. Acreage of the township, 1694; population, 335. Bickerton Hill commands a fine view, and has yielded some Roman coins. The ecclesiastical parish is more extensive than the township, as it includes the townships of Broxton, Bulkeley, Duckington, Egerton, and Larkton. Population, 1274. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £286 with residence. The church is small and plain. There is also a mission room at Bulkeley, opened in 1893.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Nantwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bickerton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bickerton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.