Fornham St Martin, Suffolk
Fornham St Martin, a parish in Suffolk, on the river Lark, 1 mile N of Bury St Edmunds station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Bury St Edmunds; money order and telegraph office, Bury St Edmunds. Acreage, 1294; population of the civil parish, 280; of the ecclesiastical, with Fornham St Genevieve, 380. Fornham House is a mansion of brick standing in a park of 50 acres. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Fomham St Genevieve, in the diocese of Ely; joint gross yearly value, £200 with residence. The church is a Gothic building of flint.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fornham St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Thingoe|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fornham St Martin from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fornham (St. Martin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.
Online maps of Fornham St Martin are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online: