UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Fornham St Geneveve, Suffolk

Historical Description

Fornham St Genevieve, a parish in Suffolk, on the river Lark, 2 miles NE by N from Bury St Edmunds. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Bury St Edmunds. Acreage, 688; population of the civil parish, 100; of the ecclesiastical, with Fornham St Martin, 380. A sanguinary battle was fought within this parish in 1173 between the troops of Henry II., commanded by Robert de Lacy, chief-justice of England, and those of Henry's rebellions son, under the Earl of Leicester. Fomham Park is a chief residence, formerly the property of the Duke of Norfolk, and now the seat of Sir Wm. Gilstrap, Bart., who is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Fomham St Martin, in the diocese of Ely; joint gross yearly value, £200 with residence. The church was burned in 1782.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishFornham St. Genevieve 
HundredThedwastry 
Poor Law unionThingoe 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Fornham St Geneveve from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement