UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Depden, Suffolk

Historical Description

Depden, a village and a parish in Suffolk, 5 miles S from Saxham station on the G.E.R., and 7 SW from Bury St Edmunds, with a post office under Bury St Edmunds; money order and telegraph office, Wickhambrook. Acreage, 1596; population, 224. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £237 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of brick and stone in the Early English style. It has some stained windows, and a brass of Lady Ann Jermyn and two husbands. Bishop Sparrow was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishDepden St. Mary 
HundredRisbridge 
Poor Law unionThingoe 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Depden from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Depden are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictSt. Edmundsbury
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP29
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement