UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Culford, Suffolk

Historical Description

Culford, a village and a parish in Suffolk, on the river Lark, 4 miles NNW of Bury St. Edmunds town and railway station, and 2 from Ingham railway station. There is a post and telegraph office under Bury St. Edmunds; money order office, Bury St Edmunds. Acreage, 2221; population, 364. Culford Hall was built in 1591 by the Bacons, passed to Marquis Cornwallis and the De Beauvoirs, and is now the seat of the Cadogan family. The living is a rectory, with those of Ingham and Timworth annexed, in the diocese of Ely; joint net value, £423. The church was rebuilt, and its tower heightened, in 1857. A church for Culford Heath, an outlying portion of the parish, was built in 1865.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishCulford St. Mary 
HundredBlackbourn 
Poor Law unionThingoe 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Culford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Culford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictSt. Edmundsbury
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP28
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement