UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Chelmondiston, Suffolk

Historical Description

Chelmondiston, a village and a parish in Suffolk, on the estuary of the river Orwell, 6 miles SSE of Ipswich, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 1289 of laud and 214 of water; population, 845. Fisheries are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £210 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style. A new chancel was built in 1891. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. The local name of the village is Pin Mill.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishChelmondiston St. Andrew 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Chelmondiston from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Chelmondiston are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Postal districtIP9
Post TownIpswich