UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Cavenham, Suffolk

Historical Description

Cavenham, a parish in Suffolk, on the river Lark, 2¼miles N of Higham station on the G.E.R., and 4½ SE of Mildenhall. It has a post office under Mildenhall (S.O.); money order office, Mildenhall; telegraph office, Lackford. Acreage, 2352; population, 185. Cavenham Hall is the seat of the Waddingtons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; value, £138 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a neat small edifice with a tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishCavenham St. Andrew 
HundredLackford 
Poor Law unionMildenhall 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Cavenham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Cavenham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictForest Heath
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP28
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement