UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Carlton Colville, Suffolk

Historical Description

Carlton-Colville, a parish in Suffolk, on the East Suffolk branch of the G.E.R., between the rivers Lothing and Waveney, 3½ miles SW by W of Lowestoft. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Lowestoft; money order and telegraph office, Oulton Broad. Acreage, 2828; population, 1826. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net yearly value, £243 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early Decorated style. It was restored in 1883. There is a chapel of ease, erected in 1884, and Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishCarlton-Colville St. Peter 
HundredMutford and Lothingland 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Carlton Colville from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Carlton Colville are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictWaveney
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtNR33
Post TownLowestoft

Advertisement

Advertisement