UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bruisyard, Suffolk

Historical Description

Bruisyard, a village and a parish in Suffolk, on the river Alde, 3 miles NE of Framlingham station on the G.E.R., and 4A WNW of Saxmundham. There is a post office under Saxmundham; money order and telegraph office, Peasenhall. Acreage of parish, 1138; population, 252. The manor belongs to the Earl of Stradbroke. A chantry or college was removed hither in 1354 from Campsey, changed afterwards into a nunnery, and given at the dissolution to Nicholas Hare. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £60. Patron, the Earl of Stradbroke. The church, a small building of flint in the Perpendicular style, has a brass of 1611.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishBruisyard St. Peter 
Poor Law unionPlomesgate 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bruisyard from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Bruisyard are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictSuffolk Coastal
Postal districtIP17
Post TownSaxmundham