UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bramfield, Suffolk

Historical Description

Bramfield, a village and a parish in Suffolk, near the river Blythe, 2 miles S of Halesworth, and 3 N of Darsham station on the G.E.R. There is a post office under Halesworth, which is the telegraph office. Acreage of the parish, 2601; population, 535. Bramfield Hall and Bramfield House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Early Decorated English, without aisles, and has a rich screen, with rood-loft. A round tower stands detached. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. An ancient oak which fell in 1843 is mentioned in the ballad relating to Hugh Bigod's flight in 1174- " When the Baily had ridden to Bramfield oak, Sir Hugh was at Ilksale bower; When the Baily had ridden to Halesworth Cross, He was singing in Bungay Tower."

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishBramfield St. Andrew 
Poor Law unionBlything 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bramfield from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Online maps of Bramfield are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictSuffolk Coastal
Postal districtIP19
Post TownHalesworth