UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bradfield Combust or Burnt Bradfield, Suffolk

Historical Description

Bradfield-Combust or Burnt-Bradfield, a parish in Suffolk, 1½ mile S of Whelnetham station on the G.E.R., and 54 miles SSE of Bury-St Edmunds, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Cockfield. Acreage, 823; population, 130. Bradfield Hall is a chief residence. An edifice belonging to Bury Abbey stood in the parish, and was burned in 1327, giving rise to the adjunct " Combust." The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £151. The church, a building of flint and stone in the Decorated style, was restored in 1869. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishBradfield-Combust All Saints 
HundredThedwastry 
Poor Law unionThingoe 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bradfield Combust or Burnt Bradfield from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Bradfield Combust or Burnt Bradfield are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement