UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Boxted, Suffolk

Historical Description

Boxted, a parish in Suffolk, on the river Stour, 8 miles NNW of Sudbury, and 3 N of Glensford station on the G.E.R. Post town, Bury St Edmunds; money order office, Hartest; telegraph office, Glensford. Acreage, 1582; population, 249. Boxted Hall is an ancient moated mansion standing in a park of about 90 acres. The living is a rectory, annexed to the benefice of Hartest, in the diocese of Ely; joint net yearly value, £333, in the gift of the Crown. The church, a structure of flint, has some interesting monuments. Fenstead End is a hamlet of this parish.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
HundredBabergh 
Poor Law unionSudbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Boxted from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Boxted are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictBabergh
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP29
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement