UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bildestone, Suffolk

Historical Description

Bildestone, a village and a parish in Suffolk. The village stands 6 miles NNW of Hadleigh station on the Great Eastern railway, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) It was formerly a market-town, but its importance has declined. The parish comprises 1171 acres; population of the civil parish, 736; of the ecclesiastical, 744. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; gross yearly value, £397 with residence. The church is Perpendicular, of the 15th century, and stands apart from the village. The chancel was restored in 1883, and further improvements were effected in 1886. There is also a Baptist chapel, erected in 1844. A spired clock tower was built in the centre of the village in 1864.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishBildeston St. Mary 
HundredCosford 
Poor Law unionCosford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bildestone from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Bildestone are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

Advertisement

Advertisement