UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Bentley, Suffolk

Historical Description

Bentley, a parish in Suffolk, at the junction of the G.E.R. with the Hadleigh branch, 6 miles SW of Ipswich. It has a station on the railway, and a post and money order office under Ipswich; telegraph office, Copdock. Acreage, 2875; population, 414. The Tollemaches had a seat here before the Conquest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £161 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishBentley St. Mary 
HundredSamford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bentley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Bentley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictBabergh
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP9
Post TownIpswich

Advertisement

Advertisement