Barnston, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Woodchurch parish, Cheshire, 2 miles N of Heswall station on the Birkenhead railway, 4 N of Great Neston, and 6 SW by S of Birkenhead, under which there is a post office; money order and telegraph office, Heswall. Acreage, 1108; population of the civil parish, 404; of the ecclesiastical parish, which includes the township of Pensley, 455. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £143 with residence. Christ Church was erected in 1870.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wirrall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barnston from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.