UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Barton Mills, Suffolk

Historical Description

Barton-Mills or Little Barton, a village and a parish in Suffolk, adjacent to the river Lark, 1 mile SSE of Mildenhall, and 4 SE from Kennet station on the G.E.R., with a post office under Mildenhall (S.O.), which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1888; population, 407. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £300 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of stone, and contains an ancient font and a carved oak pulpit. There is also a Baptist chapel, erected in 1844. There are corn mills in this village, worked by steam and water, and some good villa residences.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishBarton-Mills St. Mary 
HundredLackford 
Poor Law unionMildenhall 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Barton Mills from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Barton Mills are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictForest Heath
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP28
Post TownBury St. Edmunds

Advertisement

Advertisement