Baguley, a township, a village, and an ecclesiastical parish in Cheshire, 3 miles ENE of Altrincham. Acreage, 1806; population of the township, 814. It has a station on the Cheshire Lines railway. Market gardening is largely carried on. Baguley Hall, now a farmhouse, belonged to Sir W. Baggiley in the time of Edward II., and passed from him successively to the Leghs, Aliens, and Tattons. The great hall still remains, built of oak and wicker work, and presents fine examples of oak carving. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1868, and includes Brooklands, a suburb of Manchester, with a station on the Manchester South Junction and Altrinchan railway. Population, 762. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; value, £300. The church was erected in 1867. There are chapels for Baptists, Wes-leyans, and Congregationalists in the township of Baguley.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Altrincham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Baguley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Baguley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.