UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Assington, Suffolk

Historical Description

Assington, a parish in Suffolk, on an affluent of the river Stour, 3½ miles NE of Bures station on the G.E.R., and 5 SE of Sudbury, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Boxford. Acreage, 3041; population, 591. The manor belonged formerly to the Corbets, and now to the Gurdon family, whose seat is Assington Hall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; value, £420. The church is a building of flint in the Perpendicular style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishAssington St. Edmund 
HundredBabergh 
Poor Law unionSudbury 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Assington from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Assington are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictBabergh
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtCO10
Post TownSudbury

Advertisement

Advertisement