Baddiley, a village, a township, and a parish in Cheshire, on the Chester and Ellesmere Canal, 2 miles N of Wrenbury station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4 SW by W of Nantwich, which is the post town. Acreage, 1777; population of the township, 246; of the parish, 268. The manor formerly belonged to the Mainwaring family, and their seat, Baddiley Hall, a very ancient structure of timber and plaster, was first converted into a farmhouse, and then pulled down. The waterworks belonging to the Nantwich Local Board are situated here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; value, £148. Patron, Lord Tollemache. The church is ancient. It consisted entirely of oak till 1811, but was then encased with brick. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Baddiley St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Nantwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Baddiley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Baddiley (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Baddiley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.