UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Alderton, Suffolk

Historical Description

Alderton, a village and a parish in Suffolk, on the coast, between the Deben river and Hollesley Bay, 8 miles SSE of Woodbridge station on the G.E.R., with a post and money order office under Woodbridge, which is the telegraph office. Acreage, 2575; population, 527. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; gross yearly value, £630 with residence, in the gift of the Archer family (three turns) and the Bishop of Norwich (one turn). The church is a modern flint edifice, and a previous church is in ruins, and serves as a landmark. There is also a Congregational chapel. Coprolites are found here in considerable quantities. Giles Fletcher, the poet, was rector of Alderton, and died here in 1623.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishAlderton St. Andrew 
HundredWilford 
Poor Law unionWoodbridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Alderton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Alderton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictSuffolk Coastal
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtIP12
Post TownWoodbridge

Advertisement

Advertisement