Yoxall, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands near the river Trent, 4 miles W of Barton and Walton station on the Derby and Birmingham section of the M.R., and on the Walsall and Derby section of the L. & N.W.R., 5 NE of Armitage station on the Trent Valley section of the L. & N.W.R., and 7 NNE of Lichfield, and has a post and money order office under Burton-on-Trent; telegraph office, Kings Bromley. The parish includes the hamlets of Hadley End, Hoarcross, Longcroft, Morrey, Woodhouses, Wood Lane, and Wood Mill, and comprises 5103 acres; population of the civil parish, 1286; of the ecclesiastical, 1001. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £428 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is partly Early English, was restored in 1868, and contains some good monuments. A small manor is attached to the rectory. There are Roman Catholic and Primitive Methodist chapels and a cottage hospital.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Yoxall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cHadley End