UK Genealogy Archives logo

Wombourn, Staffordshire

Historical Description

Wombourn, a liberty and a parish in Staffordshire. The liberty is 4½ miles SW by S of Wolverhampton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Wolverhampton. The parish includes Orton and Swindon liberties, and comprises 4360 acres; population of the civil parish, 1910; of the ecclesiastical, 1434. Wodehouse and Foxhills are The chief residences. The living is a vicarage, united with Try-sull,in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £571 with residence. The church was restored and enlarged in 1867. The vicarage of Swindon is a separate benefice. There arc Congregational chapels at Wombourn and Swindon.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyStaffordshire 
Ecclesiastical parishWombourn St. Benedict 
HundredSeisdon 
Poor Law unionSeisdon 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wombourn from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Orton
Swindon