Wigginton, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Tamworth parish, Staffordshire. The village lies 1½ mile N of Tamworth. It has a post office under Tamworth; money order and telegraph office, Tamworth. The township contains also the hamlets of Hopwas, Comberford, Alder Mills and Coton, and Tamworth workhouse. Acreage, 3667; population, 1079. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Wigginton Park and Comberford Hall are the chief residences. There are paper-mills. The ecclesiastical parish is less extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1855. Population, 596. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £110 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Tamworth. The church was rebuilt in 1777, and enlarged in 1830, and again in 1862.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tamworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wigginton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wigginton)
Online maps of Wigginton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Villages, Hamlets, &cHopwas