Wichnor, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Tatenhill parish, Staffordshire. The township lies on the river Trent, the Grand Trunk Canal, and Icknield Street, 1 mile N of Alrewas station on the South Staffordshire branch of the L. & N.W.R., 5¼ miles SW of Burton-upon-Trent, and 6¼ NE of Lichfield. It has a goods station at the junction of the L. & N.W.R. and M.R. Post town, Burton-upon-Trent. Acreage, 1642; population, 195. The manor was given by John of Gaunt to Sir Philip Somerville on a tenure similar to that of Dunmow-namely that the holder should present a flitch of bacon to any man who had been married for a year and a day without repenting of his choice. The old moated hall has disappeared. Wichnor Lodge, a plain brick mansion situated in an extensive park, is the seat of the lord of the manor. A Roman camp was here, and Roman coins have been found. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £167. The church is a small Early English edifice with a low square tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wichnor from the following: