Whittington, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands 3 miles SE of Lichfield, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Lichfield. The parish includes also the hamlets of Huddlesford and Hurst. Acreage, 2921; population, 2033. Whittington Hall, an ancient brick mansion, and Broom Leasoe are the chief residences. The manor belonged to the Everards, passed to the Pagets, and belongs now to the Marquis of Anglesey. There are large barracks here for the depots of the South Staffordshire and North Staffordshire regiments. Whittington Heath, with an area of over 300 acres, is the property of the War Department. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £261. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is good, and there is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whittington St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Lichfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whittington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whittington (St. Giles))
- Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: