Whitmore, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on the river Sowe, 4½ miles SW of Newcastle-under-Lyme, and has a station on the Trent Valley section of the L. & N.W.R., and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newcastle. Cattle sales are held fortnightly. The parish comprises 2015 acres; population, 818. There is a parish council consisting of eight members. Whitmore Hall is a fine mansion standing in an extensive park; it was greatly injured by fire in 1880. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £317 with residence. The church has some Norman fragments, and was restored in 1880. It contains an altar tomb of 1580 to one of the Mainwaring family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newcastle-under-Lyme|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whitmore from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Whitmore are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: